Sunday, November 7, 2010

Staying In

For the past week or so I have been kind of a bum.  I had the most wonderful time with my Mom and my Aunt Marie when they came to visit me, but ever since then I have pretty much barricaded myself indoors.  I have even gone so far as ditching several of my classes, and sleeping in way way too late.  

Now, don't get me wrong, I have been having the best time with friends and making plans to travel with people which is something that I honestly didn't expect to be able to do this trip.  Well, anyway,  after a week long siesta I found myself with the desire to go on an adventure tonight.  So, me and a few of my favorite people on this trip decided to go and see a firework show on the other side of the city.  It was freezing cold outside, and the ground was muddy, but that didn't stop hundreds of people from making their way to this park in London to see some fireworks.  

The show itself wasn't anything particularly special, especially when you are me and have been spoiled by the amazing pyrotechnics of Disneyland for your entire life.  The amazing part though was that there were just so many people coming together to share in this spectacle.  Even the music that the show was set to was old school jazzy kind of stuff, my favorite, and also something that would have never been tolerated in America. So there I stood, watching fireworks light up the sky standing next to two people that were complete strangers to me only about two months ago, but now are truly friends; and I just felt completely content.  

So as I thought back over the past week, instead of feeling regret over not venturing out more, I felt only gratitude, and contentment at having formed new relationships.  Sometimes simply staying in with people, even in London, is an entirely rewarding thing to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment