Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Text Messaging

I have never been a big fan of the text messaging craze.  People have always asked me why, and I just couldn't give a satisfactory answer.  "Why Tera, why do you hate texting so much?" 

Well I think that I have figured out exactly why I hate text messaging.  I am a sarcastic person, and face to face that totally works out.  All you have to do is flash a smile, or laugh it off and the other person knows you're kidding.  But over a text, the other half of the conversation is free to interpret your message however they wish.  This doesn't bode well for me because it usually either makes me sound like either a total bitch, or sometimes even slightly stupid.  Since I am neither of these things, I struggle with expressing myself accurately through a message. 

Another problem with texting, is that you can't express noises very well.  For everyone who knows me, this is an obvious problem.  I tend to make the weirdest noises but it works for me.  It gets my point across, and appropriately portrays the sentiment behind what I'm saying. 

Some argue that texting is great because you get to think about what you say before you send that message.  Well, I have this uncanny ability to actually think about what I'm saying before I say it, even in a normal conversation.  (Perfect example of how I may come across as kind of a bitch)  I like the energy of a face to face conversation.  Actually looking into the other person's eyes.  The awkward pauses and mistakes actually fuel me.  It reminds me that I am talking to a real life humanoid.  Someone who doesn't always get to plan out exactly what they are going to say before they say it. 

I know this might be the least significant post that I have ever written, but I felt it was a sort of epiphany and wanted to share it with the few who read this blog.  So... I'm on board with the texting revolution, but I still don't like it... I don't like it at all!

1 comment: