Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Rainy Day by the Sea

About a week before the end of our term, a group of us decided to go to Brighton for the day.  The tickets were pretty cheap, so even though it was going to be a rainy day we decided to go for it.  The train ride there was quick and painless, and the promise of seeing the ocean was very exciting to all of us.  From the moment we got there is was freezing and raining, but it was just one of those times that the weather didn't seem to matter.  We headed directly for the beach, and a few of the boys were even daring enough to get into the water.  The wind was blowing so hard that it destroyed most everyone's umbrella's, my glasses were plagued with speckles from the rain, and by the time we made it back to the train station every article of clothing I had on was soaked.  But not once did anyone complain.  

It was one of those days when none of the uncomfortable stuff mattered.  I think that all of us knew that it was just one of those experiences that's worth any hardship.  We ended up sitting in a pub for a couple of hours waiting for our train, and just enjoying each other's company.  It was then that I realized how hard it was going to be to go home.  I have made so many friends here; met so many cool people.  I started on this journey not knowing a soul and am walking away with friendships that I hope last for years.  That rainy day in Brighton will always be one of the coolest days I have ever spent.  Not because I did anything particularly exciting or different, or because I got to see something one of a kind, but because the whole day just left me with positive vibes.  

We got back to London, put on dry clothes, and I spent the remainder of the day on the couch in the boy's apartment watching YouTube videos.  There could not have been a more perfect ending to the day.  My contentment was complete, and I hope to always be able to recognize those perfect days even back home.  To feel the presence of positivity in even the most trivial of activities.  I just think that if I am able to do that, able to enjoy the people around me, able to get joy out of totally commonplace situations, than I will always be happy with my life.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment